- Medical examinations must include an examination of the chest and a lung function test;
- They need to be carried out by a licensed medical practitioner, e.g. a GP;
- Those workers already under surveillance via a licensed contractor and in possession of a valid certificate do not need to have the NNLW medical;
- Medical examinations should be carried out in work time at the employers' expense;
- The fee should be agreed with the doctor before the examination is carried out- HSE can accept no responsibility for remuneration matters;
- The doctor must issue a certificate to confirm the examination has taken place and on what date. The employer needs to keep this certificate for 4 years.